Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Whole Foods Market: Birth Place Austin, TX - Patrice Nichole Rios

Organically grown in Austin, Texas
 Hey New Yorkers! Austin has Whole Foods Market, what do y’all have? Before I moved to Austin, I had no idea Whole Foods Market started here. The first store opened in 1980, (years before I was even born) fast forward 31 years and you can find over 300 stores across North America and the United Kingdom. The growth of Whole Foods Market has seen such great success because of their consistent high standards for organic and natural foods and their support for the sustainable agriculture community. John Mackey, founder of Whole Foods is a true inspiration and defines the meaning of “a risk taker”. At the young age of 25, John Mackey (college dropout) and his 21 year old girlfriend Rene Lawson borrowed $45,000 from family and friends to open a small natural foods store here in Austin. Soon after the store opening, John and Rene were kicked out of their apartment for keeping food products there, so they moved to the store. Not having a shower, the couple used the hose from their dishwasher to bathe. What a lovely start huh? So, after a few added business partners (Craig Weller and Mark Skiles), and a couple of company mergers (Saferway and Clarksville Natural Grocery), Whole Foods Market was created.
Top image: laist.com / bottom image: vegetarianorganicblog.com
Well…. on behalf of myself and probably every Austinite, we would like to personally thank all of these guys for creating the ultimate go to store for all of our organic desires! And of course thank you for the bragging rights! From the phenomenal salad bar & cafe, to the easy-to-follow recipe cards (God knows I need them), Whole Foods has everything I could possibly want in a grocery store. I usually try to find any reason to shop at Whole Foods; after a Saturday run at Lady Bird Lake, Whole Foods is where I go to get my double green smoothie, between meetings with clients, Whole Foods is where I stop to rejuvenate with an organic snack, and on Sunday afternoons, my sister and I head over to Whole Foods to do our weekly shopping. Also, as I mentioned in my last post about throwing a chic dinner party, Whole Foods is where I go to host that perfect soiree. Impress your friends and family with an elegant cheese and wine party (be like me and act as if you know how to pair the two, but really the employers from Whole Foods do it for me), everyone will think you really did your research and you will be known as the “ULTIMATE PARTY THROWER”. 
(photo on left) Sunkist Natural Juices
Anyway, I hope you were able to learn a little more about the history of Whole Foods Market and how a small business idea can make such a healthy impact.

Thanks to the following links for images and information that allowed us to create this post:

Xo, Patrice Nichole Rios

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...